Best 3-Year Fixed Rates Mortgage
A Comparison of 3-Year Fixed Mortgage RatesThere are several factors which support the choice for obtaining a 3-year year short-term mortgage. If you feel that there is a going to be an environment where the interest rate may fall or stay stagnant, the shorter 3-year term may be better for you. It’s possible to take advantage of the lower rates when it comes time to renew your mortgage. The 3-year fixed rate mortgage means that you’re not going to be locked into one rate for longer when compared to other mortgage types. If you feel that you’re going to break the mortgage within a few years, a 3-year fixed term is going to be better for you than the more standard 5-year terms which more people tend to go for. The 3-year would save you a lot of money in penalty costs since you would be penalized for breaking the 5-year term early.
Some Features of the 3-Year Fixed Rate TermThere are various features of the 3-year fixed rate mortgage that you might not know about or understand fully. Here are the features that you need to be aware of.
- The payment amount and the mortgage rate will stay the same for 3 years, so you can budget your money easily
- The rate can be higher than the rate you may get with some shorter-term variable rates, so you usually pay a premium to keep your fixed rate
- You may not be able to commit to the mortgage term if you feel you may move or have to sell within the time period
- If you sell before the 3 years is up, there is a prepayment penalty
- If you qualify for the 3-year fixed rate you must also qualify for the 5-year fixed rate which is usually the benchmark rate, and this can be higher